Wednesday 6 June 2012

Card it baby, card it.

Look at these humongous hairbrushes! I just bought them! One for each side of my head. Now I can brush my hair in under 1 second.
Ha. Ha. HA. I totally got you.
These aren't hairbrushes, they're handcards. These babies are used for brushing wool in order to make it fluffy enough to felt, or spin into yarn. My parents got them for me for Christmas, after my dad decided to make a mattress out of raw wool (we actually went to the farm...). I stole about a handful before it went into the mattress.

Well, it just so happens that my mom finds this mattress way too lumpy... so guess who gets close to 50 pounds of wool?

I sorted the wool, and only about a third of it was useful. The other portion was matted from when my dad washed it. However, I still got like 20 pounds, which is TONS for me.

I started carding yesterday. Here are some progressive pictures.









It's hard to see the difference, but the pictures after the 'before-after' shot are the ones where the wool had been brushed. It's fluffy and nice and ready to felt. I've got a lot of felting ahead of me. I could probably make an elephant. Life size. Watch me.

I'm preparing a Friday favourites post for this week, we'll see how it works...

Headbang to this. Isn't eighties music the greatest?!




-Augusta



No comments:

Post a Comment